The new Innovation Centre:
Sensor and Imaging Systems
Update Summer 2013
The recent announcement by First Minister Alex Salmond of a new Innovation Centre: Sensor & Imaging Systems is a game changer for Scotland. View the press release.
Scotland already has 130 companies working in sensor system technologies which generate £2.3 billion per year to the economy.
The global sensor systems technology market is expected to grow to an estimated $605 billion by 2015. Wireless solutions are expected to grow at over 48% per year. We have an opportunity to benefit from this emerging global market both intellectually and commercially.
CENSIS, the new Innovation Centre, will establish Scotland as a leader in Sensor and Imaging Systems.
- In Sensing & Imaging Systems, Scotland has a user base
- We also have component suppliers
- And we have a supply chain
- Scotland has broad and deep research capability residing in our universities
- Scotland’s universities continue to produce world class research outputs
There is a gap
The gap is between university research and industrial uptake. CENSIS will bridge this gap and form tripartite project teams to work in collaborative projects which are industry led.
Addressing industry and market challenges, CENSIS will act as a single contracting point to access all the research capabilities across Scotland and will have its own technical capability in system design and project management.
The tripartite project teams created by CENSIS will focus on industry solutions:
- Industry brings domain, sector and application knowledge
- Universities bring leading edge science and research
- CENSIS brings sensor and imaging systems solution knowledge
Building on the work of the existing Sensor Systems Centre the new Innovation Centre has been formed in collaboration with academia and industry and is supported by both. CENSIS has received £10m funding from The Scottish Funding Council and is backed by Scottish Enterprise, Highlands & Islands Enterprise and The Scottish Government.
Areas of Interest
- Offshore, renewables and energy
- Built environment
- Intelligent transport
- Smart grid and energy distribution
- Environmental and agriculture
- Ocean science
- Manufacturing and process control
- Food and drink
- Life sciences, pharmaceuticals and drug discovery
- University of Glasgow
- University of Aberdeen
- University of Dundee
- The University of Edinburgh
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Heriot-Watt University
- University of the Highlands & Islands
- Robert Gordon University
- University of St Andrews
- University of Stirling
- University of Strathclyde
- University of the West of Scotland
To stay informed about developments at CENSIS please click here to subscribe to the CENSIS newsletter.